Vortex Flow Meter Expertise
To ensure that your vortex flow meter keeps functioning within optimal parameters we’ve gathered some best practice tips based on our years of experience as well as input from our customers.
- Always size the flow meter properly using the manufacturer sizing program to verify that the vortex meter’s low flow cutoff meets your process minimum flow reporting requirements, and to maintain as much of your expected flow range within the linear accuracy range of the meter.
- Avoid high viscosity process fluids (above about 10 cP), fluids with large particles, and two-phase flow (bubble flow/bubbles in liquid).
- Select appropriate materials that are chemically compatible with all expected process fluids and cleaning/flushing agents.
- Orient the vortex flow meter properly to keep the flow meter full and avoid two-phase conditions – for liquids: flow upward through the vortex meter if possible. Mounting the transmitter on the side of horizontal pipes is acceptable for all process fluids.
- Use the recommended upstream and downstream pipe lengths to ensure proper fluid conditioning for best flow measurement Consult with your Vortex rep. if space requirements won’t allow the minimum diameters.
- If insulation is used, do not cover the sensor neck or electronics – as these components can overheat and fail.
- Verify the K-factor constant from the sensor is properly reflected in the electronics.
- Locate all control valves downstream of the vortex flow meter to provide backpressure (and keep the meter full).
- Ensure no large or abrasive objects flow through the meter. Any object that causes damage or gets lodged against the shedder bar will cause measurement offsets or prevent measurement altogether.
- Avoid pulsating flows or start-stop batching flow regimes. Vortex meters require smooth, conditioned flow regimes to create the necessary physical forces that cause vortices.
If after reading through this list you have any questions about your Vortex flow meter, reach out to your Emerson representative, contact us at www.emerson.com, or customer service at: 1 800-522-6277