Whether you’ve ridden a modern passenger train recently or not, you might be amazed at all the automation technology that goes into it. This video, Emerson Railway Technology – AVENTICS pneumatic components in use, shares examples of the many pneumatic systems in use.
The application examples shared in the video include:
- Pantograph control and actuation (apparatus mounted on electric train roof to collect power from overhead electrical line)
- Toilet control systems
- HVAC control and actuation
- Door control, locking and actuation
- Doorstep control and actuation
- Train leveling control and actuation
- Fresh air intake systems to quickly close to avoid pressure waves from oncoming trains passing by and tunnel entry and exit.
- Dynamic braking systems
- Wheelchair lift systems
- Aerodynamic nose cone systems for less drag
- Coupling systems connecting rail cars together
Even if your job is not to automate passenger and/or freight rail cars, this is still a cool video to see the wide range of applications pneumatic and electropneumatic controls and actuators play. Depending on your industry, there may be several applications where these can also be applied.
Visit the AVENTICS section on Emerson.com for more on these cylinder, valve, air preparation and pressure regulator technologies for your mechanical applications. You can also connect and interact with pneumatic actuation and control experts in the Fluid Control & Pneumatics group in the Emerson Exchange 365 community.